History

Chloride got its name from the silver chloride found all over the local mountains. Silver was first discovered by white miners in the 1860's. Silver Hill is named after the rich ore deposits in it. Besides silver, the miners found zinc, copper, lead, molybdenum, and turquoise. At one point, there were over 75 working mines and over 2,000 people living here. Businesses, such as hotels, a bank, a pool hall, barber shops, saloons, and restaurants thrived. A railroad spur connected Chloride to Kingman for ore and passenger transport. Several churches and a hospital served the residents' needs. The most productive mine, the Tennessee Mine, produced zinc and lead into the 1940s. When the mines closed, miners and their families left, leaving Chloride almost a ghost town. Today, some of the mines are privately owned, while others are controlled by the federal government. 

Chloride, Arizona in 1918

The Chloride Chamber of Commerce does not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained on this website, and does not endorse any single business, organization, or service listed or linked herein.  The content listed is to be used for informational and non-commercial use only.

Chloride Chamber of Commerce, Inc.

PO Box 268

Chloride, Arizona 86431

Email: chloridechamber@gmail.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/chloridearizonachamberofcommerce/

Phone: 928-565-9777

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now
Tennessee Avenue in Chloride, Arizona, in 1918